Re: Baptism of Jesus -- rival claims

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 19:38:39 EST

<x-charset UTF-8>In a message dated 2/27/2000 7:16:52 PM Central Daylight Time, mauros@iol.ie
writes:

<<
 Furthermore, on the opposite bank of
                the Jordan from Qasr al-Yahud, the Jordanians
                have been developing their own sacred baptism
                site. At a place known as Wadi Harar,
                approximately two kilometers east of the river, the
                remnants of an ancient church have been found.
                Jordanian tourism officials based themselves on a
                verse from the New Testament: "All this happened
                at the home of a poor woman on the other side of
                the Jordan, at the place where John the Baptist
                was." According to this verse, John the Baptist
                was east of the Jordan, and the Jordanian tourism
                minister managed to convince the pope to visit
                there.

 Anybody have a notion what verse the Jordanians are relying on?

How about John 1?

 24 Now they had been sent from the Pharisees. 25 They asked him, “Then why
are you baptizing, if you are neither the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the
prophet?” 26 John answered them, “I baptize with water; but among you stands
one whom you do not know, 27 even he who comes after me, the thong of whose
sandal I am not worthy to untie.”

28 This took place in Bethany beyond the Jordan, where John was baptizing.

 29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb
of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is he of whom I said,
‘After me comes a man who ranks before me, for he was before me.’ 31 I
myself did not know him; but for this I came baptizing with water, that he
might be revealed to Israel.” 32 And John bore witness, “I saw the Spirit
descend as a dove from heaven, and it remained on him. 33 I myself did not
know him; but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom
you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy
Spirit.’ 34 And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of
God.”
 35 The next day again John was standing with two of his disciples; 36 and he
looked at Jesus as he walked, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God!” 37 The
two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus. 38 Jesus turned,
and saw them following, and said to them, “What do you seek?” And they said
to him, “Rabbi” (which means Teacher), “where are you staying?” 39 He said
to them, “Come and see.” They came and saw where he was staying; and they
stayed with him that day, for it was about the tenth hour. 40 One of the two
who heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. 41
He first found his brother Simon, and said to him, “We have found the
Messiah” (which means Christ). 42 He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at
him, and said, “So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called
Cephas” (which means Peter).

gsomsel