Barnabas's nasty animals

From: Bart Ehrman (behrman@email.unc.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 09:13:49 EST

   Ah, the infamous Barnabas chapter 10. Here he explains "why" Moses
proscribed certain foods (some of which in fact Moses did not proscribe,
but that's another story). And some of the explanations are, uh,
interesting and revealing of Barnabas's own concerns (many of which are
sexual). But on the Greek itself, I'd like to know if anyone has any
insights other than what can be found in the standard lexica on any of the
animals. My plan is to translate with traditional terms as follows. Any
objections/suggestions?

XOIROS = pig
AETOS = eagle
OXUPTEROS = hawk