Re: Participial Salience - Longacre

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 01:23:40 EST

<x-charset ISO-8859-1>Perhaps I should clarify this question a bit. Look at Col. 1:3-4ff. In
verse 4 AKOUSANTES . . . could be understood as stating a prior
circumstance or condition limiting the finite verb EUXARISTOUMEN in
verse 3.

It seems to me that the salience of AKOUSANTES is lower than
EUXARISTOUMEN. It also seems that AKOUSANTES . . . could have been
placed before EUXARISTOUMEN without having any appreciable effect on its
salience or semantic function. The change of order would have rhetorical
side effects but AKOUSANTES . . . would still have the same semantic
function and I will also risk saying it would have the same salience.

This is not a great counter example since it isn't part of a Gospel
narrative which is the subject of Longacre's article. Can someone come
up with an example like this from the Gospels or Acts?

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

---------- >From: "clayton stirling bartholomew" <c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net> >To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu> >Subject: Participial Salience - Longacre >Date: Mon, Feb 28, 2000, 1:47 PM >