Re: paymaster?

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 20:30:42 EST

<x-flowed>At 16:15 03/03/00, Bart Ehrman wrote:
>I guess I could paraphrase:
>"but recognize that the one who pays back the reward is good." But
>I don't much like that either.

Bart:
"Paymaster" is, I see, the only term used by BAGD.

OTOH, Lampe chooses "requiter", a late 16th century term --- even more
obscure than paymaster I should think; until I remembered "unrequited love"
I could not think of ever having come across the term.

But "pay BACK" I should think, goes some way to catching the essential
difference
between a paymaster and one who, in the definition of the verb in the SOED

>Make return or recompense for (a service etc.); repay or reward (a
person) for a kindness etc. E16. <

In answer to your question, then, perhaps " the one who recompenses " might
do, or is it too clumsy?

Regards
Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]