Re: ENQUMEOMAI

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 10:14:20 EST

At 8:03 AM -0600 3/5/00, Charles Skallerud wrote:
>> But as for Mt 1:20, depending on how one views the context, the
>translation
>> "while he was upset about these things" appears to make more sense than
>the
>> neutral translation "while he thought on these things" (KJV) as if Joseph
>> was merely an unfeeling stoic.
>>
>> -Steven Craig Miller
>

>I see what you mean but neither the word nor the context preclude the
>possibility that Joseph was serenely reflecting on the situation. He
>doesn't have to be an unfeeling stoic to be calm.

Looks to me like there's more effort to pinpoint precise emotional content
intended by use of the word than the word's usage will justify; if I were
translating it, I might use "taking to heart," but I know that wouldn't be
satisfactory to everyone either. I don't really see the point of trying to
fine-tune between ENQUMEOMAI as being distinterested as "sine ira aut
studio" or just mainly calm but with just a little but of "ira" or just a
little bit of "studium."

--

Carl W. Conrad Department of Classics/Washington University One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018 Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/