Re: Teaching Greek

From: spuluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 12:53:21 EST

> From: "J.K. Aitken" <jka12@cus.cam.ac.uk>
>
> As someone who appreciated the teaching experience as a PhD
> student and not being a Professor with many other commitments I may change
> my mind when older, but it seems that our Institutions do undervalue the
> importance of starting out on a sure footing.

When I studied Latin at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh in the early
eighties, the chair of the classics department personally taught all first
year Latin and Greek classes. This was a wonderful experience, not only
because of his obvious depth of knowledge, but also his teaching experience
and style made the classes very enjoyable. This motivated me to work harder
out of class.

I would contend that deep knowledge of the subject is less than half of a
truly good teacher. A sensitivity to needs of your class and an ability to
present the material in a way that can be understood are just as important.
These yield that motivation for outside work which is essential in learning
languages well.

Steve Puluka
Adult Education Instructor
Byantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh