NOMOQETEW in Heb

From: Dmitriy Reznik (reznik1@juno.com)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 18:48:17 EST

Dear friends,

Could you help me to understand if NOMOQETEW in Heb 8:6 can mean "to be
given as a law" in passive voice. I found this idea in a book of David
Stern "Messianic Manifesto". It says:
"If the subject matter of the letter... were, say, Greek law, or the
Roman Senate, it would be appropriate to translate this word as "enacted,
established, legislated", that is, "put" or "placed as law".But in the
letter to these Messianic Jews, the word nomos ... always means Torah
specifically, never legislation in general. Moreover, the only other
appearance of NENOMOQETHTAI in the New Testament is a few verses back, at
... 7:11, where it can only refer to the giving of the Torah at Sinai.
Therefore:
But now the work Yeshua has been given to do is far superior to theirs,
just as the covenant he mediates is better. For this covenant has been
given as Torah on the basis of better promises."

Tell me please if it is true, and if yes, why nobody translates this word
here in this way.

Thank you in advance.

Dmitriy Reznik

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!