RE: Accent Marks

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 07:59:46 EST

<x-charset iso-8859-1><D. Charles>
The primary reason for learning them is to distinguish between a number of
words and their various grammatical forms. For example, it is the
difference between KRINW (present indicative without the circumflex: "I am
judging" or "I judge") and KRINW (future indicative with the circumflex over
the omega: "I will judge").

<Bill>
For my purposes, this is also one of the best reasons for ignoring them! I
mean it permits you to see for yourself which is the intended meaning,
rather than having to take someone else's interpetation - which is why we're
reading it in the Greek! In fact, there are examples in Romans where the
accepted punctuation speaks of a future judgement where I think it should be
read as present, since the stumbling of the jews over the Gospel is a
present reality, not a future one.

Bill Ross
Download my song: John 1:1-3, in Koine, for free!
http://members.xoom.com/woundedego