1st declention nouns

From: Mitchell Gray (kingmnky@granbury.com)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 22:55:02 EST

<x-charset ISO-8859-1>Dear B-Greekers,

Please excuse me for the question that I am about to ask. I know that many
of you will think, 'Man, that is easy' but hey, I'm new to this. I just
started a week ago. Anyway my question is this. I was reading Mounce's
Basics to Biblical Greek and he says on page 31: "For example, a first
declension case ending for the subject of the verb is nothing; the stem
stands by itself (GRAPHE; WRA)." Then he has this sentence:

hE WRA ESTIN NUN (I'm not sure if I transliterated that right or not, I'm
not use to having to write it like this).

Anyway, my question is this: What does Mounce mean by this? Is this only
for the nouns that are the subjects? Sorry if this seems extremely easy,
but my learning deficiency doesn't allow me to comprehend some of the
simplest things.

Thanks for the help,
Mitchell