Re: A question from a novice!

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 14:15:48 EST

Carl Conrad <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> replied quoting Louw and Nida:
> 25.43 AGAPAW; AGAPH, hH f: to have love for someone or something,
> based on sincere appreciation and high regard - 'to love, to regard
> with affection, loving concern, love.'

Would it not be likely, especially in the context of the NT, that a 'sincere
appreciation and high regard' for someone will (possibly always) result in
self-sacrifice by the one showing the love? Surely the potential is always
there.

I think of CARITOW. I've heard it explained as the act of a King showing
kindness to a normally undeserving peasant. There is nothing in the peasant
that requires such high regard. The King chooses to highly regard the
peasant, performs some level of sacrifice, and shows kindness.

On the one hand, it is usually prudent to be as precise as we can; so to say
"ALWAYS in the sense of self giving love" is perhaps too strong. And yet, in
the context of the NT, it would be very hard to separate the two ideas of
'self giving' and 'high regard' in any given occurrence.

--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us