Re: A question from a novice!

From: Steven Lo Vullo (doulos@chorus.net)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 17:01:58 EST

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Hi,

I would also add to what Moon said by pointing out that in John 12:43 it is
said that Jesus' opponents HGAPHSAN ... THN DOXAN TWN ANQRWPWN MALLON HPER
THN DOXAN TOU QEOU ("loved the approval of men rather than the approval of
God"). This, clearly, cannot be construed as self-sacrificial or
self-denying love (it is the opposite). And remember, this usage comes from
the same author who penned 1 John 3:16. Context must be the determining
factor, as there is much overlap between the various words for "love."

Steve LoVullo