Re: A question from a novice!

From: Dave Reigle (reigles@paonline.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 16:42:28 EST

<x-charset iso-8859-1>
Gentlemen,

I would like to make a general observation about this discussion.
I am certain that there are different kinds of love. In fact several of you
have described these different ideas very clearly in your posts. My point
is that I do not believe that these different concepts are necessarily
tied to the use of a particular word, for this seems to be putting too much
load on a particular word. I don't think that people generally have that
much
theological baggage attached to a word when they speak or write.

For example, in 1Cor 13, I don't think that it would have made much
difference
what particular word Paul chose to use for love; the concept of that pure
and selfless love would still be there. I think of that concept when the
context of a particular passage calls for it, not when a particular word is
used.
The particular word used for love, may or may not have some bearing on the
sense of a passage, but I think it is mistaken to make a one to one
correspondence
between words and theological concepts.

Perhaps my betters have already said this in different terms(very likely so
if I'm right!).
If so, I apologize for the repetition.

In Christ,

Dave Reigle