A question about Qumran (off list)

From: Juan Stam (jstam@una.ac.cr)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 22:23:45 EST

<x-charset Windows-1252>I have a question I have tried to figure out for years without success, and
don't know where else to direct it than B-Greek, though it is about DSS
rather than GNT. If anyone can help me, off-list, I will be extremely
grateful.

My problem is that the titles (or classification) of the Qumran documents is
not consistent from translator to translator, or when the
code-identification is the same, and even the sub-clasification (columns,
verses, or whatever) they are often totally different. This is true
especially in the Psalms (Hodayoth). I use Florentino GarcÌa Martinez,
Vermes, Burroughs and Gaster. The later three often correspond, but the
Psalms in Garcia Martinez seem totally different.

Can anyone explain to me why this is so, or how I can find corresponding
passages in the different translations? Is this explained in any of the
Qumran literature?

Thank you for forgiving a non-GNT question and many thanks for any help
(off-line)

Juan Stam, Costa Rica