Re: "Bible study" approach to the meaning

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 12:02:13 EST

At 8:36 AM -0800 3/23/00, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>on 03/23/00 6:10 AM, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>
>> every field of HUMAN endeavor tends to turn into a Tower of Babel,"
>
>It does seem quite fitting that no field of HUMAN academic endeavor is more
>a Tower of Babel than linguistics.

AMHN, AMHN, ALHQH LEGEIS SU ... (although my inclination is to say this is
especially true of Social Sciences generally). I might add that, in a
message I received privately from a fellow St. Louisan, Richard Leigh
earlier this morning, he said (which may have been intended for the list):

At 9:59 AM -0500 3/23/00, AlphaLeigh@aol.com wrote:
>Dear Dr. Conrad,
> . . ..
>I'd like to add, for the record, that jargon develops to facilitate, not
>hinder communication. Ignorance of vocabulary is what hinders it.
>
>Richard H. Leigh
>(B.A. in Behavioral Science,
>California Polytechnic University, Pomona, CA)
>St. Louis, MO

to which I replied:

--

Carl W. Conrad Department of Classics/Washington University One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018 Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu