Re: 1Cor 1:24

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 11:07:53 EST

Dear Dmitriy,
     I earlier wrote:

A question arose, though the idea is probably wrong, whether "crucified" in
"Christ crucified" could be an anarthrous, attributive participle.
Goetchius give CALKOS HCWN ("sounding brass") in 1 Cor 13:1 as an example
of one. The translation would be: "we preach a crucified Christ." My German
Bible has: wir aber predigen der gekreuzigten Christus ("but we preach the
crucified Christ").

This alternative does not seem preferable to me because it treats the word
CRISTON somewhat impersonally. In 1 Corinthians 1 to this point the term
has been closely associated with the name IHSOU. This is a known Person who
is Lord of the Church. So I do not think that at 1:23 Paul would revert to
an impersonal, conceptual way of referring to Christ.
                                        Yours,