More Genea

From: RHutchin@aol.com
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 08:58:55 EDT

I am still working on Matthew 24:34 and have some more questions. If I get
overbearing, let me know.

Matthew 24:34 reads:

AMHN LEGW hUMIN hOTI OU MH PARELQHi hH GENEA hAUTH hEWS AN PANTA TAUTA
GENHTAI.

Questions.

1. According to the Fribergs, PARELQHi is subjuntive, aorist, active. Why
would Jesus use that verb form instead of the future tense? What idea is a
person able to convey by using that verb form?

2. Would a person ever say, hAUTH hH GENEA. I did not find the phrase in
the NT. Does the word order make a difference in the location of hAUTH in
the context presented by this verse?

3. Jesus could (I think) have said, hH AUTH GENEA to get the same point
across. What idea would a person be able to convey by using hH GENEA hAUTH
that he might not in using hH AUTH GENEA?

Roger Hutchinson
RHutchin@AOL.com