Re: Mk. 12:34b

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 12:02:51 EDT

<x-flowed>
Thanks for that very full reply, Carl.

At 15:11 05/04/00, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>I take it as something akin to: "Then the Kingdom of God has arrived
>here before you were aware of it!"

How interesting --- I was just about to post a reply to Solomon, saying,
inter alia:
<
<You are absolutely right about this --- it is Mt 12:28, and that rather
crass use of "overtake" for the traditional " has come upon you" is from
the Jerusalem Bible
Usually, the NJB corrects this kind of thing, but I am even less impressed
with its " then be sure that the kingdom of God has caught you unawares."<<

The NRSV goes as far as saying: " the kingdom of God has come to you.",
as against the more traditional " has come upon you." as in the RSV and NAB

However, I obviously have to revise my ideas now !!

Thanks once more.

Maurice

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie