Re: Mk. 12:34b

From: Numberup@worldnet.att.net
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 17:41:24 EDT

In context, Carl's translation fits well if we understand here "the kingdom of God"
to be represented by Jesus himself. Louw & Nida take this meaning of prior arrival
for FQANW at Matthew 12:28, "so the kingdom of God has already come upon you."
(13:123) However, other sources, like the TDNT, assert that this usage is primarily
Classical and Septuagintal, and is used in this sense in the GNT only at 1 Thess.
4:15. According to TDNT, at Matthew 12:28 it has the simple meaning of "to attain
to," "to come." (Vol. 9, pp. 88-91)

I don't know if some distinctive Aramaic expression is involved here in Jesus'
original logion, but the Peshitta version does not indicate any. It says "qerbat lah
alaykon malkuta d'alaha," wherein "qerbat" is cognate with the Hebrew "qorvah," with
the simple meaning of "to come near to," or "approach." Thus, Lamsa renders the
Aramaic, "the kingdom of God has come near to you," and Errico (The Message of
Matthew, 1996) translates: "the kingdom of God has come to you."

Quite an interesting verse!

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org