LUPOUMENOI LOIPOI

From: Warren Fulton (warren@inlingua.at)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 02:46:51 EDT

To my surprise, almost a month now has gone by without an answer to Dr. Conrad's
challenge from the thread "Poetic Paul":

> Eric Weiss wrote re. Romans 2:9-10
>
> >Does Paul possibly use KATERGAZOMENOU with KAKON and
> >ERGAZOMENWi with AGAQON - rather than KAT. or ERG. in both clauses -
> >for "poetic" effect? I.e., KAT. with KAKON because they both begin with "K",
> >and ERG. with AGAQON because they both begin with vowels?

> I guess this is an instance of assonance, and it would not surprise me that
> when Paul is eloquent, as he often enough is, he will do this sort of thing.
> I suspect list-members will be offering some more examples of this sort of
> thing.

Last night I was reading 1Thess 4:13 with my pastor and came across:

hINA MH LUPHSQE KAQWS KAI hOI LOIPOI hOI MH EXONTES ELPIDA

My pastor, Dr. Bob Marsh, pointed out that there is no stop sign after LUPHSQE, that
Paul is not saying "do not grieve period" but that MH LUPHSQE KAQWS KAI hOI LOIPOI
forms a unit. MH EXONTES ELPIDA seems to balance the the negative imperative both
with the MH and with the contrast LUPH<-->ELPIDA, a contrast brought to the fore by
assonance.

Now, in my "traditional" (church) manner of pronouncing Greek, the only difference
between hOI LOIPOI and hH LUPH is one of accent. And in the verb form MH LUPHSQE even
the stress aligns with hOI LOIPOI. Do I not hear Paul using assonance of L, P, and
tearful long E to transfer LUPH to the LOIPOI and to contrast their sad state with
E-LPI-DA? Or is my itacized ear playing tricks on me?

Warren Fulton
Inlingua School of Languages
Vienna, Austria