Re: Eusebian Tables

From: Peter Scott (peter.scott@bell.ca)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 13:15:24 EDT

On 04/07/00, "Theodore H Mann <thmann@juno.com>" wrote:

> What are the "Eusebian Canon Tables?" Thanks.
>
> Ted
>
> Dr. Theodore "Ted" H. Mann / thmann@juno.com
> Fax and Voice Mail: 1-562-750-5242

"A provisional syopsis of the Gospels" according to the Introduction of
Nestle-Aland Greek-English NT, 5th ed 1990, p 31*. The letter of Eusebius
to Carpian and the tables are found on pp 35*-40*. Each Gospel is divided
into numbered sections. Passages unique to a Gospel are gathered in one
Canon, passages appearing in all four gospels in another, and so on. The
12 Canons are designated with Roman numerals. Canon I lists passages
appearing in all four Gospels, Canon II parallel passages in the Synoptics,
ktl. The references are placed in the margin of the test, eg. 71/VI refers
to Mark 7:5-15. We find that Canon VI contains parallel passages found in
Matthew and Mark. Under the column for Mark section 71 is matched against
154 of Matthew. Going to Matthew we find section 154 is Mat 15:1-11. A
simple and elegant system.