Re: kosmos being translated as "Christians" or "God's people" or "the chosen"

From: Mr. Gary S. Dykes (yhwh3in1@lightspeed.net)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 10:28:11 EDT

Kosmos is used with several different senses in John's writings. For
example if it must mean "world" (as in the created orderly planet and all
of its inhabitants) then what about I John 2:15, which would then
contradict John 3:16. Also the last verse in John 3 is illuminating.

One needs to study each usage of KOSMOJ in John's writings, they do
differ.
Hence many folks see the term in 3:16 as signifying the CHOSEN especially
when John 17:9 is also recalled.

An earlier post seemed to ignore John's usage of this word with its varied
connotations, and he presented the typical "universalist" view. Calvin also
sees "KOSMOJ" in John 3:16 as the chosen.

I guess it depends also upon one's theological preferences, but both sides
need to be aired.

Mr. Gary S. Dykes
Swanson's Errata List -- http://userzweb.lightspeed.net/yhwh3in1/
DOWNLOAD the FREE high quality GREEK44.ttf font (200 kerned pairs!)