Re: kosmos being translated as "Christians" or "God's people" or "the chosen"

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 14:51:16 EDT

on 04/07/00 10:28 AM, Mr. Gary S. Dykes wrote:

> One needs to study each usage of KOSMOJ in John's writings, they do
> differ.

Gary,

A few more comments.

For a brief review of the use of KOSMOS in John see Leon Morris, John NICNT,
1st ed. page 126ff. Morris does a good job of demonstrating the polysemy in
John's use of this term. The 17th chapter of John's gospel is a particularly
good text to observe this polysemy. The word KOSMOS is used in this passage
in an number of senses and with a number of referents. In this text we see
an example of John's habit of weaving a texture with words, shifting and
shading the sense of a word in subtle ways that make exegesis both
challenging and at times exasperating. I suspect (not sure however) that
John 17 contains most if not all of the uses of this word that will be found
in Johannine literature. Someone else will need to prove or disprove this.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point