Re: kosmos being translated as "Christians" or "God's people" or "the chosen"

From: roseann (roseann@Intellisys.net)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 19:19:03 EDT

<x-charset iso-8859-1>

>In a message dated 4/11/2000 9:23:46 PM Central Standard Time,
>cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu writes:
>
><< At 6:45 PM -0600 4/11/00, Wayne Leman wrote:
> >>
> >>hO ESTIN MEQERMHNEUOMENON
> >>
> >>Words having the same form can have different meanings.
> >
> >Indeed, and in the commercial fishing family I come from, we illustrate
it
> >as:
> >
> >We can fish.
> >
> >it's a sign,
> >IXQUS,
> ><:==}
> >many fish,
> >many carp,
> >poly carp :)
>
> Gee whiz, Wayne--and poly carp also implies a big catch, don't it?
>
> --
> >>

>Mercy! My sides are splitting.
>
>Who says Greek is dull?
>
>gfsomsel

After reading the above I feel I have more in common than I realized with
this group - After tending to my splitting sides I can't contain myself
from sharing this...I conducted a soul-winners seminar for the women in my
church in February. When I teach the course (having to do with becoming
fishers of men) I wear a long gold chain with a large (about 3") hinged
gold fish charm on it. It's hinged at the tail and the head and it's very
pretty and apropos for the occasion. One of the young preachers in our
congregation noticed it and I let him know immediately, with a grin, my
fish's name is "Polycarp." He too experienced some split sides with that
one!! Now I must share all this fun with him - :-)
God bless,
Roseann Ekman
Thomas St. Church of Christ
Altus, OK