Re: TIQHMI in John

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 06:36:34 EDT

(Since TIQHEME is not an attested form of the verb, I'm changing the
spelling in the header).

At 8:14 AM +0000 4/13/00, Peter Clark wrote:
>TIQEME appears at John 13:4 and 15:13, the contexts being Jesus washing the
>feet of the disciples (having "laid down" his garment) and the maxim about
>laying down one's life for one's friends. Could this be an example of
>intratextual analepsis, linking the status of servant (Jesus washing the
>feet) and that of one who is willing to be sacrificed?

There are 18 instances of TIQHMI in John's gospel, of which 10:11 (THN
YUCHN AUTOU TIQHSIN hUPER TWN PROBATWN), 10:15 (same phrasing), 10:17 (same
phrasing 3x), 13:37-38 (THN YUCHN MOU hUPER SOU QHSW .. hUPER EMOU
QHSEIS?, 15:13 THN YUCHN QHi hUPER TWN FILWN AUTOU, a total of 6, all
clearly use the same formula, "put down one's life on behalf of __." I
think that's quite enough to show it's a common Johannine theme. On the
other hand, TIQHMI is such a common Greek verb for so many different senses
of "serve," "put down/lay down," "set/fix" including "take off clothing"
and in chapters 19-20 "put on the cross" and "lay in a tomb."

In my judgment there's certainly a linkage between the idea in the
footwashing of performing an act of service on behalf of others whom one
loves and laying down one's life for one whom one loves, BUT I think taking
off an article of clothing as an act of preparation for the footwashing is
not quite in the same category. So I don't really think the linkage you
suggest is intended.

--

Carl W. Conrad Department of Classics/Washington University One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018 Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/