Re: Proleptic Aorist......Psalms from LXX

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 18:33:16 EDT

<x-charset UTF-8>In a message dated 4/13/2000 4:08:41 PM Central Standard Time,
peteslev@splus.net writes:

<< I've just completed a self study with BBG (Mounce) and am proceeding with
his reader and GGBB (Wallace)
 as grammar. The explanations of the proleptic aorist still seem to elude
me. I wonder if anyone knows of anything similar or analogous in English.
Lacking; this, perhaps an explanation that was found to be helpful. >>

Did you read this (p. 318)

Finally, we should mention a word about terminology. When the noun (or other
nominal) that the pronoun refers to precedes the pronoun, it is called the
pronoun’Äôs antecedent (as in ’ÄúBob read the book. Then he gave it to Jane’Äù).
This is the most frequent usage. When the noun comes after the pronoun, it is
the pronoun’Äôs postcedent (as in ’ÄúAfter he read the book, Bob gave it to
Jane’Äù). In the latter case, the pronoun may be said to be ’Äúproleptic.’Äù

or (p. 563)

VI. Proleptic (Futuristic) Aorist

A. Definition

The aorist indicative can be used to describe an event that is not yet past
as though it were already completed. This usage is not at all common, though
several exegetically significant texts involve possible proleptic aorists.

Wallace, Daniel B., Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics - Exegetical Syntax of
the New Testament, (Garland, TX: Galaxie Software) 1999, c1996.

gfsomsel