Re: Latin in Barnabas

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 05:21:09 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/2000 1:56:36 AM Central Standard Time,
parousia_occ@yahoo.com writes:

<<
 Why is it that in the English translation by Kirsopp
 Lake (unedited) in the Loeb Series 10.6-10.8 are in
 Latin? I have the newer version also, which has it in
 English. Why would he deliver an old Latin
 translation instead of the English (for the sake of
 his readers)?

The introductory notes state that there was a Latin version extant in one
copy only. Why he would have Latin in the middle of the English, however, is
a puzzle. Latin was once the language of scholarship, and the tradition died
hard. I seem to recall a story about C.S. Lewis that he was allowed to use a
Latin translation of the Greek for some work as an aid -- my memory of this
is somewhat fuzzy since I thought it was a cute story of little importance.
Then again, perhaps it was a printing error. What printing was this?

gfsomsel