Matthew 23:8-10

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 17:07:52 EDT

Matthew 23:8-10:
    hUMEIS DE MH KLHQHTE, hRABBI, hEIS GAR ESTIN hUMWN hO DIDASKALOS,
    PANTES DE hUMEIS ADELFOI ESTE. KAI PATERA MH KALESHTE hUMWN EPI
    THS GHS, hEIS GAR ESTIN hUMWN hO PATHR hO OURANIOS. MHDE KLHQHTE
    KAQHGHTAI, hOTI KAQHGHTHS hUMWN ESTIN hEIS hO XRISTOS.

Does anyone have a pointer or insight into what words hRABBI, PATHR,
and KAQHGHTHS meant to a first century Jew? Specifically how those
words are used in this context. I take them to be titles, and if
that is true, what did these people do? BTW, hRABBI is fairly easy
to get my hands around, but if you know of something peculiar that
one can't find in a standard Bible dictionary, I'd like to know that.

I'm analysing the interaction between: hRABBI and hO DIDASKALOS, PATERA
and hO PATHR hO OURANIOS, and KAQHGHTHS and hO XRISTOS. Especially
that last couplet which strikes me as odd and the oddity tells me
there is something I don't understand.

Thanks ahead of time for any insight someone might offer.

--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us