Re: Matthew 23:8-10

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 20:32:53 EDT

<x-charset UTF-8>In a message dated 4/26/2000 3:08:59 PM Central Standard Time,
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us writes:

<<
 Does anyone have a pointer or insight into what words hRABBI, PATHR,
 and KAQHGHTHS meant to a first century Jew? >>

TEACHER

In reverse order. I don't find the noun used outside the NT. Strabo,
however, an older contemporary of Christ (not Jewish) used the aorist
participle of the verb KAQHGEOMAI {bracketed].

hOUTOI MEN STWIKOI ANDRES; AKADHMAIKOS DE NESTWR hO KAQ' hHMAS hO MARKELLOU
[ KAQHGHSAMENOS ] TOU OKTAOUIS PAIDOS, THS KAISAROS ADELFHS. KAI hOUTOS DE
PROESTH THS POLITEIAS DIADECAMENOS TON AQHNODWRON, KAI DIETELESE TIMWMENOS
[ARA TE TPOS hHGEMOSI KAI EN THi POLEI.

These men were Stoics; but the Nestor of my time, the [ teacher ] of
Marcellus, son of Octavia the sister of Caesar, was an Academician. He too
was at the head of the government of Tarsus, having succeeded Athenodorus;
and he continued to be held in honor both by the prefects and in the city.

Geography 14.5.14

Here's something interesting though. Lev. 8.9 in the LXX reads

KAI EPEQHKEN THN MITRAN EPI THN KEFALN AUTOU KAI EPEQHKEN EPI THN MITRAN KATA
PROSWPOSN AUTOU TO PETALON TO XRUSOUN TO KAQHGISMENON hAGION, hON TROPON
SUNETACEN KURIOS TWi MWUSHi

The Hebrew N"ZeR is the word translated by KAQHGISMENON. This is variously
translated as a diadem or consecration or Nazirite. I wonder if it has more
relation to the usage in the LXX than in Greek literature. I haven't had a
chance to check this out, but it's a thought.

FATHER

The LXX of 1 Sam 10.11, 12 reads

11 KAI EGENHQHSAN PANTES hOI EIDOTES AUTON EXQES KAI TRITHN KAI EIDON KAI
IDOU AUTOS EN MESWi TWN PROFHTWN, KAI EIPEN hO LAOS hEKASTOS PROS TON PLHSION
AUTOU TI TOUTO TO GEGONOS TWi hUIWi KIS H KAI SAOUL EN PROFHTAIS
12 KAI APEKRIQH TIS AUTWN KAI EIPEN KAI TIS PATHR AUTOU DIA TOUTO EGENHQH
EIS PARABOLHN H KAI SAOUL EN PROFHTAIS.

The leader of the prophetic band seems to have been known as the father.

Rabbi

Rabbi seems to derive from the Hebrew RaB meaning "chief." A humorous usage
of this (if I'm not misunderstanding it) is in 2 Kings 25.8 which is normally
translated "captain of the guard" The Hebrew is RaB_+aB.fXiYM. This seems
to mean ’Äúchief of butchers.’Äù Obviously, a well-liked guy.

gfsomsel