Re: RENEW

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 06:35:36 EDT

In a message dated 4/28/2000 12:39:44 AM Central Standard Time,
j.buchegger@datacomm.ch writes:

<<
 Now I think it is important to know, that in hellenistic Greek, in adding a
 preposition (which is popular in the Koine) is in the first place to
 intensify the meaning of the stem (?) of the verb itself. So don't read too
 much into it.
 This is also important for the mentioned (in a following post to your
 question) ANAKAINOW. Note that ANAKAINOW (and ANAKAINWSIS) does not occur in
 any Greek text before Paul! I think it is a word Paul "coined" for his own
 purpose.

Not only that, there is only one non-Pauline usage of the term -- Heb 6.6.

KAI PARAPESONTAS, PALIN ANAKAINIZEIN EIS METANOIAN, ANASTAROUNTAS hEAUTOIS
TON hUION TOU QEOU KAI PARADEGMATIZONTAS.

Another curious fact is that Zenophon used KATAKAINW (with, of course,
precisely the opposite significance -- to slay). I wonder if ANAKAINOW/
ANAKAINIZW was used in opposition to this.

gfsomsel