re:NT Greek verbs

From: yochanan bitan (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 14:59:00 EDT

<x-charset ISO-8859-1>tw Pete Slevin cairein

a Greek 501 verbs isn't a bad idea.
Of course, such would be more useful for an unlimited corpus of Roman Koine
period texts.
Limiting such a work to the "NT" and/or attested forms could result in most
paradigms having more blank squares than filled ones.

501 is a lot of verbs and the whole point of such an endeavor would be to
list or show 'everything',
to reinforce learning by seeing everything repeat and repeat and repeat.
and to generate forms for accidently unattested forms. I suspect that such
would be more user friendly for students than Mounce's morphology, though
that has it's place, too.

Greek itself has a relatively high number of irregular verbs.
For example, compare the usefulness of a collection like the irregular
verbs at the end of Goodwin's old grammar (over 600) and Smyth (over700).
But they only list principle parts.
This can be a little frustrating for composition classes,
not to mention someone trying to guess
preferred Koine forms:
MNHMONEUSAI or MNHSQHNAI 'to remember'?,
CEIN or CUNNEIN 'to pour'? ktl. [kai ta loipa].

I wonder if one of those working with Stanley Porter on Hellenistic tools
will undertake some pedagogical things like this?

errwso
Randall Buth
en tois Ierosolumois