Re: Mark 7:4

From: roseann (roseann@Intellisys.net)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 15:42:11 EDT

Are we saying then that the word baptism can mean either sprinkling, pouring
or dipping? If so, why the distinction in Lev. 14:15-16. It's my
understanding that the word pour is translated from CHEO in vs. 15 and the
word dip from BAPTIZO vs. 16 and the word sprinkle from RHANTIZO - vs. 16.
(Heb. to Gk.)
God bless,
Roseann Ekman
Thomas St. Church of Christ
Altus, OK

><Harold>
>...but the original ceremony clearly implied a washing. And the church
>ordinance ought to preserve this idea. See Acts 22:16:
>
>"And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins,
>calling on his name."
>
><Bill>
>I don't think baptim is properly understood as a washing (see 1 Peter
3:21).

>But grammatically speaking...
>
>EPIKALESAMENOS is either defining the washing or both the baptism and the
>washing:
>
>Acts 22:16 KAI NUN TI MELLEIS ANASTAS BAPTISAI **KAI** APOLOUSAI TAS
>AMARTIAS SOU EPIKALESAMENOS TO ONOMA AUTOU
>
>Bill Ross
>
>Notes:
>1 Peter 3 21 O KAI UMAS ANTITUPON NUN SWZEI BAPTISMA OU SARKOS APOQESIS
>RUPOU ALLA SUNEIDHSEWS AGAQHS EPERWTHMA EIS QEON DI ANASTASEWS IHSOU
CRISTOU

leave-b-greek-327Q@franklin.oit.unc.edu