Discourse Analysis

From: Bryan Rocine (brocine@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 14:15:09 EDT

Dear Craig,

I have written a soon-to-be-published first year teaching
grammar (A New Approach to Learning Biblical Hebrew Using
Discourse Analysis) that teaches discourse analysis from
lesson one along with the nut and bolts stuff of Hebrew. My
students like it.

It may seem like a student has enough to memorize in a
traditional approach to learning a Biblical language without
having to be over-burdened by learning more, the discourse
issues. On the contrary, adding discourse issues to
beginning instruction organizes the presentation of
beginning material with a system that is common to all
languages (and so familiar to the student) and inherent to
the target language. It is easier to learn more material
faster when it is organized systematically, functionally,
and naturally.

Anothe r advantage to introducing discourse issues from
square one is that many of the benefits to learning a
Biblical language at all are tied to discourse issues.
Randall Buth mentioned some benefits for d. a. of Greek. I
might add that the beginning student can get a sense of the
advantages to his study immediately. (I know, I know.
Discipline and humility are wonderful benefits of all
language study. I am refering to advantages above and
beyond discipline, humility, and permission to take the
second year course. ;-) ) My Greek is weak, but I am
quite sure that the same can be done for a first year Greek
course.

Shalom,
Bryan

You wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> It's been a long time since I've participated in b-greek
discussions. =
> I've read some concerning modern linguistics and discourse
analysis. I'm =
> wondering if anyone would be willing to take us through a
brief passage =
> pointing out what D-A brings to the field of
interpretation and what =
> we're missing if we aren't cognizant of its benefits?=20
>
> In reference to some prior discussions, it seems to me
that D-A deals =
> mostly with the field of interpretation rather than
language learning, =
> which I (being of the old school) see as mostly a matter
of learning =
> vocabulary, morphology, and syntax at the level of the
clause or =
> sentence. How would D-A help a beginner learn Biblical
Greek?

> Serious questions from one who sincerely wants to know. If
this is =
> deemed inappropriate for list discussion, please feel free
to e-mail me =
> at revcraigh@netzero.net
>
> Craig

B. M. Rocine