RE: pragmatics at the well

From: Sam@intercom.es
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 13:37:49 EDT

I agree with Kevin L. Barney in saying that the change of position is
because there is a change in the emphasis. Only to remember that since in
Greek language there's no (almost) word-ordering for sintax reasons, the
word order is done for stylistic ones. So, we have two main positions in the
phrase: The first and the last. These positions are occupied by the main
words in the sentence (that's the reason IMO why the verb uses to go in the
last position in latin too). when Jesus changes the emphasis from the woman
to the husband, he changes too the position of the word ANDRA. When I try to
explain this caracteristic of the greek language to the students I use
2Peter 3,1 as an example: TAUTHN hdh agaphtoi DEUTHRAN grafw umin EPISTOLHN.
Here it's clear the emphatic positioning of tauthn and epistolhn, and the
simmetrical construction of whole the sentence. This makes the audience feel
1) as it was Peter who is talking when the letter is being red. 2) as Peter
was writing the letter as they are hearing it.
Well, I'm being too long. I hope you'll understand me...

Samuel Sais
Barcelona, Catalonia.