Re: Cabelese & Rom. 12:19

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (sundoulos1@netzero.net)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 03:22:16 EDT

Clayton,

There are a few other references in Paul's letters that employ what you call
the "economical" use of words in the case of ORGH. In Rom 5:9 Paul says
SWQHSOMEQA DI AUTOU APO THS ORGHS. In light of the fact that ORGHS is
governed by a preposition, and prepositions routinely govern anarthrous
nouns, there must be some reason Paul uses the article with ORGHS. I believe
it is because, just as in Rom 12:19, he is employing the article in a way
that Wallace calls a "Par Excellence" usage, that is, this wrath is in a
class by itself, since it is a wrath administered only by God. His readers
do not need to be told that the wrath of God is in view, for there is no
other wrath that can be in view. The same holds true in 1 Thess 2:16, where
Paul says EFQASEN DE EP AUTOUS hH ORGH EIS TELOS. Again, "the wrath" can be
none other than the wrath of God; no further expansion is necessary.

Steve Lo Vullo