Re: looking for a book

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 21:42:42 EDT

Paul, I was thinking of exactly the same kind of book a couple of days ago.
I'll keep an eye out for one like this. Besides the transparent examples
such as you listed, there are ones which are not so transparent but just as
historically valid, such as:

GNWSIS know, knowledge (g > k Grimm's Law sound shift)
PATHR father (p > f Grimm's Law shift), paternal
etc.

Having such a list of these "cognates" should make memorization of Greek
vocabulary easier. Of course, one must be wary of the cognates that don't
have exactly the same meaning, but, still, having lists like these gets us
in the ballpark for pedagogy (speaking of which!!)...

I'm not sure how useful such a list would be for technical terms in the
medical, theological, legal, linguistic, and various scientific fields,
because in many cases the English word is almost an exact transliteration of
the Greek etyma (pneumatology, christology, ecclesiology, phonology,
cardiology, etc.).

Wayne
Bible translation discussion list: http://www.egroups.com/bible-translation