Re: Boundary Marker in Mark

From: Joe A. Friberg (JoeFriberg@alumni.utexas.net)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 19:10:17 EDT

And Clay has asked a very well-stated, pertinent question regarding the
boundary markers and the resultant major sections of Mark. Well,
unfortunately, I cannot give much of an answer at this point. This topic
happens to be one of my unfinished projects that I wish I could get to! And
I am operating from memory right now, for my partial-analysis notes, while
incomplete, are also sizeable but not summarized or organized. My apologies
for being extremely sketchy. All I can offer at present seems to be vague
generalities:

I am not aware of any other formal boundary criteria which would operate at
a high level. I suspect there are several formal narrative boundary
criteria which operate at a mid-level, which would also be found near the
purported high-level boundaries listed below.

As for coherence, in addition to a number of thematic motifs, it is
developed by the spans of characters and their roles, geographical and
temporal references.

As I alluded below, most or many commentators agree with the boundaries at
1.14 (at least many) and 3.7 (some choose 3.1).

When it comes to the boundaries proposed below at 8.27 and 9.2, most (all?)
commentators choose only one boundary (some choose 8.27, some 9.2, others
some other division nearby), and most see this as a division of the book
into two halves. If these are both seen as valid boundaries, what we have
is (I suggest) a *hinge* section 8.27-9.1, which serves to divide the rest
of the book into two halves.

Well, enuf unsubstantiated suggestions for now! Wish I were more prepared
to defend the analysis. (I was lured into presenting it by Carl's subtle
challenge that the 'bread motif' discussed earlier could not be tied into
discourse analysis :-) I don't know that I succeeded in doing much more
than putting at least my big toe in my mouth! :-p )

Praise God anyway!
Joe F.