Re: Hebrews 10:5

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 08:45:23 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Siviour" <craig.siviour@det.nsw.edu.au>

> When was the first Septuagint translation of the Psalms completed?

Craig,

You may wish to post this question to the Septuagint discussion list on
egroups:
http://www.egroups.com/group/lxx

The short answer to your question is we don't know for certain. The
Septuagint itself was created by Jewish scholars for use by the Jewish
community, but most of what we have today has been transmitted by Christian
scribes and many versions are heavily revised.

The Psalms have the most extant early manuscripts and show the most
conformity of versions. This is probably due to the widespread use of the
Psalms for daily prayer in both the Jewish and Christian assemblies. This
makes variants less likely to creep in. But all the same two-thirds of
these early manuscipts are partial ones.

Please see Chapter 3 "Modern Theories of Origin" in Jellicoe, The Septuagint
in Modern Study, Oxford University Press, 1968.

Steve Puluka
Consultor for Adult Education