Re: Translating again

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 07:25:56 EDT

At 9:51 AM +0200 5/23/00, Wieland Willker wrote:
>What then do Clay and others think of translating from English to Greek as a
>practice to THINK in Greek? Maybe you should go to the baker and ask for
>bread in Greek? Or imagine you are meeting the apostle John in a cave in
>Ephesus alive (Joh 21:23)!
>"TIS EI? - SU IWANNHS EI?"
>It might be good to be prepared. -->Homework.

In my opinion this would unquestionably be salutary--and I know you'll get
a vote for it from Randall Buth too. Now that I've taught my last official
Greek class, I earnestly wish that I had made regular conversion of English
to Greek a key part of my pedagogy; if I had it all to do over again, I
certainly would.