Re: Greek Pedagogy

From: Michael Hildenbrand (hildenbr@Haas.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 11:56:32 EDT

Garland,
        Ah! This is exactly the book! And this is what actually
happened. Naturally, none of the students had down the more advanced
syntactical elements, but they could pretty well parse any kind of verb
that they had encountered in John, and many of them outside of John. By
the time we got to systematically studying syntax in Dana & Mantey, it
wasn't really too difficult, since we had seen every syntactical
construction in the NT (not that we were experts by any means!).
Understanding how it all fits together is a lifetime job, but we could
scan a chapter relatively easily. Really, if you are responsible to be
able to translate up to two chapters in an hour class and that repeated
three times a week, you are really immersed in the language, leaving you
quite comfortable with reading it on the outside. The ability to scan a
chapter also aids observations regarding a whole chapter.
        By the end of the second year most of the students had the
morphology down pretty well-if only from being buried in it! That would
become obvious in class if they couldn't translate a portion, as well as
the usual quizzes that came up every day.

Michael