re: 3 days and 3 nights

From: Suedaleg@aol.com
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 01:22:16 EDT

Perhaps an answer to the question on Jewish reconing of time. According to
S. Robert Anderson, the Jews and their cousins counted time in whole segments
even if only a part was used. thus any part of a day would be the frist day,
and any part of the third day would be the third day. I know that we
Westerners count days as 24 hours so 3 days from now would be 10:14 monday
evening, but to them three days from now could be Sunday morning. It gets
confusing but it explains some of the chronology in the OT histories.

an example we still use is in music theory: a third step is only two full
tonic steps from the first; there being no zero.

I think the portion "and three nights" is probably emphatic. We find this
type of structure in Daniel 8:13,14 where the suspension of the sacrifices
for the impurity of the temple is marked at literally "evening mornings".

I hope this helps your questions.

Dale Greenlee