Re: Virus warning: "Job Resume"

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 10:51:51 EDT

<x-flowed>At 15:18 27/05/00, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
>"Maurice A. O'Sullivan" wrote:
>
> > W97M.Melissa.BG is a Word 97 macro virus that
> > has a payload of deleting necessary system files.
> > It also sends itself out through e-mail using
> > Microsoft outlook. The subject of the e-mail is
> > "Resume - Janet Simons".
> >

>So if one does not use either Microsoft Outlook or Outlook express, is
>there any
>danger?

As the above quote from my original message shows, this is A WORD MACRO
VIRUS -- quite separate from its ability to disseminate itself via MS mailers.

As always, the danger to your own computer is to open an attachment in WORD
format, the origins of which you are not totally certain. Just because you
don;t run MS mailers doesn't mean you can drop your guard.

Here is a full description of what this virus does:

When a user opens an infected document, the virus will attempt to e-mail a
copy of this document to everyone in the user's address book, using
Microsoft Outlook. The virus also drops 2 copies of itself. One is dropped to

C:\Data\Normal.dot

Another is dropped to:

C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\Explorer.doc

Upon closure of the document the virus attempts to delete the files:

"C:\*.*"
"C:\My Documents\*.*"
"C:\WINDOWS\*.*"
"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\*.*"