Hebrews: Clouds, Author

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 14:51:54 EDT

Dear Bill,
     You write:

>So also is there confusion when Jesus is spoken of as the "author and
>finisher of our faith". This verse speaks of Christ as the ultimate
>example of faith - "the quintessential Faith-Man," not the manipulator of
>our faculties. (ie: there is no article before "faith" and he is the
>"Prince"not "author") so He is the "Prince of Faith".

Thes remarks calls for comment. There is an article before "faith" in Heb
12:2. You have a word, ARCHGOS, which can mean two things. The basic sense
given by LSJ is "beginning, originating." Next the lexicon has "primary,
leading, chief." As a substantive, it can mean: 1) founder; 2) prince,
chief; 3) first cause, originator. In Heb 12:2 the word is paired with
TELEIWTHN, which means "finisher, accomplisher." So which is the more
likely translation alternative for ARCHGOS, prince, founder, or originator?
I think that "originator" or "founder" would be more natural choices than
"prince." There is interaction within the pair of words, a contrast beween
starting and ending. Christ is where the faith begins. We trust in Christ
as Savior, and He made a way for faith through His life, death, and
resurrection. He is also the God who provided salvation. What Christ
started, He will finish. He will guide us in our faith as Lord of the
Church until we stand before Him.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard