Re: Translation: Glossing, Domains, Arguments

From: Rob Haskell (haskellrob@home.com)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 19:19:25 EDT

An interesting distinction occurs to me as I read the discussion about
translating (Should pastors translate as part of study etc): There are
really two translating activities happening at any time a written
translation is produced. There is the purely mental grasp
(conceptualization) of the passage in categories other than the target
language, and then there is the written distillation of that. It seems to
me that the point of knowing Greek is to make that conceptualized
translation, that is, to come to an understanding of the passage in a way
that cannot be conveyed by a written translation, a way that takes into
account all structure, rhythm, pattern, semantic range, grammatical
inflection etc of that language on its on terms. When and if this occurs,
it seems pointless to make a written translation because it will just be
another of the same kind of something we already have enough of! On the
other hand there is nothing wrong with writing it out if it helpful.

But I think a big problem is that Greek is not used to better
"conceptualize" the GNT, but to fiddle with translations.

Having a lot of fun,

Rob Haskell