Re: PRESBUTEROS

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 09:04:57 EDT

At 10:48 PM 5/28/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Jim said that 1 Tim 5:2 refers to female elders.>
>
>The context would seem to show this is not correct. Isn't 1 Tim 5:1-2
>telling Timothy how to treat younger and older men and women? If you take
>PRESBUTERAS as an office, does this mean that NEWOTERAS is another office?

YUP!!!!
what we have in 1 timothy is how the leaders of the church are to act and
interact. how is the "pastor" to act? the "deacons" (male and female!!!).
the "elders" (male and female" as well as those responsible for the younger
church members....

Yes- you are correct. the newotera are office holders.

best,

jim

" The righteous man looks after his own soul, and the bodies of others,
whereas the hypocrite looks after his own body, and the souls of others"
Rabbi Lionel Blue

Jim West, ThD
jwest@highland.net
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest