Pastoral Epistles, J. H. Beranard

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 14:55:58 EDT

Bernard, J.H. THE PASTORAL EPISTLES
1922 CGT 192 Pages

While browsing in a used book store I saw a 20 year old paper back reprint
in good condition of this Greek Text commentary on the Pastoral Epistles
going for $4.95. I assume that this is the same Bernard who did the two
vol.s in the ICC on John. I cannot find much information on this book. I did
notice that Knight (NIGTC, Pastoral Epistles) cited this guy about 30 times.

The book contains the complete greek text of the pastoral epistles plus and
introduction with notes on the greek text. I suspect it was at one time part
of a series but I am not familiar with the series.

Do any of you experts on Paul have an opinion about the value of this book.
Is it too old to be of any value? I just gave away my commentaries by
F. Godet and Charles Hodge because they seemed to be rather dated. I left
the book by Bernard sitting in the store and now I am wondering if that was
a good move.

Anyway, if this question is not of general interest you might want to reply
off list.

Thanks, Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew