Re: 1Cor 8:4

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 11:03:44 EDT

Dmitriy Reznik <reznik1@juno.com> said:
> Dear friends,
> I wonder which translation would be correct for OUDEN EIDWLON EN KOSMW
> KAI hOTI OUDEIS QEOS EI MH hEIS. Should it be "there is no idol in the
> world, and that there is no God but One", or "idol is nothing in the
> world, and none is God but One"?

> Thank you in advance.

> Dmitriy

Most are more expert on this list than I, but I would translate this as:

  An idol is nothing in the world, especially since "there is no God
  but one."

Which is a direct reference to the Shema.

I take KAI as a marker of emphasis, thus the use of 'especially'.
Perhaps that is too loose, but this is my quick response so as to bring
out the emphasis which I think KAI brings when it relates the hOTI
phrase to the previous phrase.

Those more expert perhaps should correct me--if they do, then I'll learn
:-) But, I think of the semantics of a text as existing in several
layers, like an onion. The individual words are at the core and each
successively larger cohesive collection of words builds larger and larger
related semantic chunks. Some words perform functions relating these
higher semantic levels. In the text above, KAI is a connective marking
emphasis between the two phrases.

--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us