Re: b-greek digest: May 30, 2000

From: Bret Hicks (bret@ratedg.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 09:44:51 EDT

Clay wrote:
>On the series in general, I suspect that the publisher and general
editor
>probably had something to say about the use of Greek and English in
this
>series. My point of comparison for making my previous comments was
older
>works like Sandy & Hedlam (Romans, ICC) where the assumption is that
the
>reader is competent in NT Greek. In the NIGTC series this assumption is
not
>made. These are written for people who still want to use English for
the
>exposition, since all the Greek is translated and in numerous cases the

>discussion is done from the translation itself not from the Greek.
>
> Clay

Although I am certainly not as qualified in Greek as Clay is (judging
from the discussions which I have read during my time as a list member),
I would have to disagree with this assessment. I attempted to use
Marshall's volume before I had taken Greek and it was almost unuseable
because he did not translate or even transliterate many of the words and
phrases he was discussing. This seems to be true of the three volumes
from the series which I own (Luke; 1-2 Thessalonians and Hebrews). From
my experience, if you are not competent (or at least able to read Greek
without constant translation or transliteration) in NT Greek you will
not find this series of much use.
    On the other hand, I have found the New International Commentary on
the New Testament series (formerly edited by FF Bruce and now by Gordon
Fee) to be useful to someone who has little or no knowledge of Greek,
because there the Greek is translated and transliterated throughout the
text (although it is used without translation or transliteration within
footnotes at times).
    Just my 2 cents worth....

In the grace of Christ,

Bret Hicks