Re: Time out !!

From: Frank W. Hughes (fwhughes@sunbeach.net)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 13:44:02 EDT

<x-html>
The real issue that the significance of participles is really a subset
of is what significance the tense of verbs has:&nbsp; does tense really
mean time or does it mean aspect?&nbsp; I think the time significance of
participles is well described in William D. Mounce, <u>Basics of Biblical
Greek</u>, pp. 239-241 and 248-250.&nbsp; He says that participles have
no time significance, except to relate to the same time as the main verb
of the sentence.&nbsp; See also pp. 118-120 as he presents aspect in his
introduction to verbs.
One side holds that tense means mostly time or partially time and partially
aspect.&nbsp; Another side, strongly influenced by modern linguistics,
means that tense means aspect, period.&nbsp; That is the view that Wallace
calls the non-temporal view.
aspect; only indicative verbs have time.&nbsp; The reason that present
participles are so called is that they are built on the present stem of
the verb.
I like the up-front way it is presented in Mounce.

</x-html>