re: NA27 or UBS 4?

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 09:43:55 EDT

At 06:32 AM 6/1/00 -0700, you wrote:

>Thanks, Jim. Is that the majority view among exegetes? It seems that UBS 4
>is preferred by theologians *who are not primarily exegetes* (Ken Gentry
>comes to mind).

Theres no such thing as a majority view on anything among exegetes. I
suspect from attending meetings such as the CBA and the SBL that MOST
exegetes and Bible scholars I have myself been in contact with, that the NA
text is the preferred one (though I am awfully fond of Merk too). Most
systematic theologians that I know prefer UBS because it grades the text for
them and since they are not trained in textual criticism (for the most part)
they appreciate the help.

Anyway, when we talk about preferences and who uses what, etc, we get into
subjective preferences. I like NA. The apparatus is just better.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
jwest@highland.net