Re: I didn't see them

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 13:31:54 EDT

At 05:28 PM 6/2/00 +0000, you wrote:

>For the first time I saw pictures of ancient New Testament Greek documents.
>It didn't look like my UBS3 at all.
>
>I was then informed that first century Greek did not have punctuations or
>accents.
>
>Is this correct?

yes it is correct. the oldest mss are in all caps as well- with no space
between words.

>Is so, when did punctuations and accents first appear?

much later.... much!

>Also, did earlier Greek (Hellenistic and Homeric, etc) have punctuations and
>accents?

no.

on these and other questions take a look at Metzgers "Text of the NT"

best,

Jim

" The righteous man looks after his own soul, and the bodies of others,
whereas the hypocrite looks after his own body, and the souls of others"
Rabbi Lionel Blue

Jim West, ThD
jwest@highland.net
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest